In 1945, after WW II, there was a large population growth in Skokie, Morton Grove and Niles Township. When Brother Knights moved into the area it was recognized that a new Council was needed in the area to allow Knights to remain active on a local basis ... thus the basis for Skokie Council was established. In the spring of 1949, a group of men from St. Peter's Church, along with Fr. Edmund Schreiber, met in the basement of George Hebson to discuss establishing a Council. Later that spring, with the permission and active support of Fr. Arthur Sauer, administrator at St. Peter's, a membership drive was held. On July 19, 1949, a group of Catholic gentlemen met at Sharp Comers Hall in Skokie and founded Skokie Council. One hundred and two members signed the Charter. Over the years we have been gifted with members who have brought qualities of leadership and dedication to the office of Grand Knight. Since 1949 we have had fifty - two Grand Knights in office. We have also been blessed with the help and guidance of the Clergy, such as Fathers Schreiber, Eckert, Kelly, Wilhelmi, Stroot and presently Chaplain Henry Kricek. On December 12, 1995, our members voted to change the Council name from Skokie Council #3243 to Father Joseph C. Stroot Council #3243 in honor of our deceased beloved Chaplain of twenty-five years. The new name was adopted into Council by-laws on April 9, 2006.
Our Council also has a fourth Degree Group with its own elected officers and members. Father Edmund Schreiber (An original charter member) served as First Friar of the Group. The Council is guided by principles of the Order which are: Charity, Unity, Fraternity and Patriotism. These principles can best be summed up with the word LOVE. With Charity, it's love of being generous to someone less fortunate than ourselves. With Unity, it's love of God, the common thread that binds us together. With Fraternity, its love of neighbor, and with Patriotism, its love of country, which is exemplified through the Fourth Degree. In October 1999, a dinner dance was held to celebrate our 50th Anniversary, then in October 2004, a dinner dance was held for our 55th Anniversary and now today we celebrate our 66th Anniversary of accomplishment, good times and brotherhood.