About Our Council
St. Alban Roe Council 12022
St. Alban Roe Council 12022 was granted a charter by the Officers of the Supreme Council authorizing them to organize and maintain a Council of the Knights of Columbus within the City of Wildwood, Missouri on the 29th day of June 1997. There were 61 members listed on the charter.
The 1st recorded meeting was held on August 12, 1997.
The Council was called to order at 7:38 p.m. by Michael Arway.
Grand Knight - Michael Arway
Deputy Grand Knight - Hank Olszerski
Chancellor - Herb Driscoll
Recorder - David Devereaux
Financial Secretary - Dave Fritz
Treasurer - Bob Knueven
Advocate - Jerry Ponder
Warden - Joe Riley
Trustee 3rd year - Carl Huddleston
Trustee 2nd year - Joe McCarthy
Trustee 1st year - Ernie Rohaly
Chaplin - Father Bob Manning
A team from Marion Council conferred the 1st Degree for the council.
Knights of Columbus
St. Alban Roe Council #12022
Grand Knights Notes
214 Days and 67 Knights
As I sit here trying to put my thoughts together for our first newsletter, I think back to that Saturday morning of March 15th. Father Ed and Father Bob had invited Dave Fritz and I to come to the rectory to have a discussion about the Knights of Columbus. A number of parishioners, Dave and I included, had expressed an interest in starting a Knights of Columbus council at St. Alban Roe. Father Bob was just recently assigned to our parish and had been a Knight for some time, so the time seemed right.
Initial meetings were held in April to find catholic gentlemen interested in joining together to carry out the activities of the order. A steering committee was formed and held their first meeting on April 30th; (Day 46) and meeting again on May 13th (Day 59). With the help of our brothers at the Marian Council in Manchester, we participated in our initial 1st Degree exemplification on May 20th bringing in 9 new members (Day 66). On June 10th (Day 87) we had our first somewhat unofficial meeting. We had set sail for our journey. On June 16th (Day 93) we hosted a first Degree bringing in 11 more members. The support for the organization grew rapidly until on June 23rd (Day 100) we submitted the paperwork to Supreme asking to have a council chartered by the Knights of Columbus.
The St. Alban Roe Council #12022 was chartered by the Knights of Columbus on June 29th (Day 106). Our first project, helping with the ADA Drive, was already behind us as we celebrated by attending our first Corporate Communion followed by a breakfast.
The list goes on with our first official meeting and nomination of officers on July 1st (Day 108). On July 17th (Day 124) we attended our first District meeting. Prior to our meeting on August 12th (Day 150) another 1st Degree exemplification brought in additional members, increasing our membership to 58. Nominations of officers were completed and elections took place. Hank Olsyewski, our newly elected Deputy Grand Knight & Program Director, immediately went to work presenting the project plan that had been developed at the planning meetings. The response by the members to step up and take directorships and committee chairmanships was astounding. By the end of the evening a majority of the necessary positions had been filled.
On August 31st, (Day 169) our second Corporate Communion and breakfast was chaired by newly appointed Family Activities Director, Brad Bingaman. Brad, being one of the newer members, stepped up to the challenge and did a great job.
This past weekend we completed our first "Tootsie Roll Drive" (Days 209,210,211). Through the leadership of chairman Joe Riley and over 150 man-hours from the Knights and their families we were able to collect more than we ever thought possible. My congratulations go to Joe Riley for an OUTSTANDING project and a great job. Thanks to everyone that helped.
As we move forward, many more projects are in the works and many more good times are to come. It seems hard to believe that only 214 days have passed, but as the say, TEMPUS FUGIT...
Duties of Council Officers
- Serves as spiritual advisor to the brother Knights and families of that council
- Provides his message to members at the beginning of the meetings
- Presides over all meetings
- Appoints program and membership directors
- Appoints committees as needed
- Countersigns checks and orders for payment
- Responsible for the council's First Degree Team
DEPUTY GRAND KNIGHT
- Assists the grand knight with operation of the council and any other duties assigned to him by the grand knight
- In the absence of the grand knight, presides at council meetings
- Recommended to serve on the council's Retention Committee
- Has the duty of strengthening the members' interest in council activities
- Assists the grand knight and deputy grand knight with their duties as assigned
- Recommended to serve on the council's Admission Committee
- Upon recommendation of the grand knight and the trustees, the financial secretary is appointed for a three-year term that is approved by the supreme knight
- The prospective financial secretary must also complete and submit the APPLICATION FOR APPOINTMENT AS FINANCIAL SECREATY (#FS101)
- Under Section 130 of the Laws of the Order, the financial secretary is automatically bonded in the amount of $5,000. Additional bonding may be provided at a cost of $7 per thousand by contacting the supreme secretary's office.
- Collects money, in the form of dues, from members. Responsible for sending billing notices and initiating retention measures by providing a list of delinquent members to the grand knight to prevent members from being suspended for nonpayment of dues
- Ensure that the council membership records are updated and that new members sign the constitutional roll
- Receives from the Supreme Council Headquarters honorary and honorary life membership cards for distribution to qualified members
- Files various reports and membership/insurance transactions with the Supreme Council Headquarters
- Responsible for completing and submitting the proper 99 for the council (U.S. only)
- Keeps the seal of the council and affixes the same to membership cards, resolutions and other official documents as necessary
- Responsible for keeping and maintaining a true and permanent record of all actions of the council and maintains all correspondence of the council
- Charged with handling council funds
- Receives money from the financial secretary and deposits it in the proper council accounts
- Responsible for paying all council expenses, including assessments from the Supreme Council
- Under Section 130 of the Laws of the Order, the treasurer is automatically bonded in the amount of $5,000 when reported on the Election of Officers form (#185). Additional bonding may be provided at a cost of $7 per thousand by contacting the supreme secretary's office
- Appointed by the grand knight
- Responsible for providing suitable educational and entertaining programs under thee "Goody of the Order" section of council meetings
- Act as parliamentarian for the council
- Should have a working knowledge of Robert's Rules of Order, Charter, Constitution & Laws, council by-laws, and Method of Conducting Council Meetings (#10318)
- When needed, will seek legal assistance from the state advocate
- Responsible for supervising and maintaining all council property
- Sets up council chambers for meetings and degree exemplifications
- Oversees inside and outside guards
- Attend the doors of the council chamber, checking for current membership cards and allowing entrance
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
- Consists of grand knight and three other elected members
- Supervises all financial business of the council and conducts the semiannual audits
- Trustees are elected for terms of three years, two years and one year. At each regular election, the position of each trustee with be voted upon, with the current three - two year trustees moving on the become the two - and one year trustees, respectively
- Appointed by the grand knight
- Collaborates with the grand knight in setting the calendar of council programs for the year
- Manages each service program director and chairman as they implement the council's programs and activities
- Keeps accurate records of council programs for reporting on the Annual Survey of Fraternal Activity and the Columbian Award Application
- Keeps council's public relations chairman informed of all programs and activities for promotion to local media
- Appointed by the grand knight
- Collaborates with the grand knight and Council Membership Committee on council membership goals for the year
- Manages the Recruitment Committee, Retention Committee and Insurance Promotions Committee chairmen as they implement the council's membership activities
- Plans and coordinates the council's schedule of recruitment programs
For additional information, refer to the Duties and Responsibilities of Council Officers and Directors (#4241)
Perpetual Adoration Mass Cards
We usually order a Perpetual Mass Card for members immediate family.
The amount is $21.42