News & Announcements
Emergency Response Team Member Form Collection
we are into the middle of the most active portion of the summer storm season. To date we have not had a storm hit the Texas coast but, as of this writing, storm systems are brewing near the gulf.
We have continued to stay vigilant. Since my last article we have successfully put together a small stockpile of Red Cross Flood Cleanup Kits and safety gear to help us do our job if the need arises. We also asked all Knights willing to volunteer to help with cleanup, transportation or meals to let us know. A dozen Knights stepped up to the plate. Thanks to those brothers. I will continue to maintain your information.
We would like to take our preparation efforts one step further. One thing we don’t have ready to go are tools needed to help with cleanup efforts. The Red Cross Cleanup Kits do contain squeegees, brooms and mops but not any hand or electric tools. We would like all Knights who are willing, to complete an Emergency Response Team Member form that will contain all your contact information, skill sets and is an easy way for each of us to list tools we have and are willing to bring to a response. Simply click the link below to access the form, fill it out, scan it and return to me via email. I will compile and maintain the data.
Hopefully none of our preparation efforts will ever be needed but we all know that is wishful thinking. So, let’s do what we can to be ready to help our brothers in need.
Emergency Response Coordinator
KC 1st Friday Meals
Knights of Columbus - 1st Friday Meals
To celebrate Prince of Peace's 50th anniversary, Knights of Columbus Council 8482 will serve a meal each month (except October). The meal will be served by Drive-Thru in the parking lot next to the St. Andrew Center from 5:00 pm to 7:30 pm.
- June 4th (Friday) - Spaghetti & meatballs with garlic bread and salad. $8.00. We are also taking pre-orders for smoked briskets until June 27 to be picked up on July 1. Briskets are $60.00 for a 9 - 11 pound brisket (pre-cooked weight).
- July 1st (Thursday) - Hamburger/Chips - $5.00 Hot Dogs - $1.00. Pick up your pre-ordered briskets.
- August 13th (Friday) - Enchilada Plate - 1 beef, 2 cheese with rice and beans. $8.00. We are also taking pre-orders for smoked briskets until August 29 to be picked up on September 3. Briskets are $60.00 for a 9 - 11 pound brisket (pre-cooked weight).
- September 3rd (Friday) - Chicken and Waffles $8.00. Pick up your pre-ordered briskets.
- November 5th (Friday) - Twisted brisket & chips. $8.00.
- December 3rd (Friday) - Fish dinners $8.00.
Food Handler Training for our Council
Fish Fries, Pancake Breakfasts, Fellowship Sondays, Fundraising Activities
As knights, one of the ways we serve the Church is by serving food to our fellow parishioners. When serving food, we should use the same safe practices as fine dining restaurants do. To that end, all knights and helpers handling unpackaged foods including fish, pancakes, hot dogs and hamburgers etc. are required to have a State of Texas Food Handler certificate. The certificate is good for 3 years. If you are a food handler in the Mercy Ministry, the food handler certificate is also required.
|What:||Texas Food Handler Certificate|
|Cost of training, exam and certificate:||$ 7|
|Link for training, exam and certificate:||http://www.learn2serve.com/texas-food-handler-certificate|
The on-line training takes about 2 hours, but you can pace yourself and start and stop as needed. You must get a minimum score of 70 on the exam but you can retake it until you pass. After you get your certificate, please forward a copy to Tony Pickett at email@example.com.
The goal for Council 8482 is to have all knights certified as food handlers so that after COVID-19 is under control, we can start serving food again.
We will also need Certified Food Managers to be present anytime there is a food event. This certificate is $35 and requires separate training. If you are interested in getting the food manager certificate, please contact Tony Pickett at 281-782-2634 to obtain training materials.
Father McGivney Priest Appreciation Fund
Where As: Our founder Father Michael J McGivney was a parish priest who created the Knights of Columbus for Catholic Men;
Where As: Knights have always been in solidarity with our priests and wish to aid them in any way possible;
Where As: The Supreme Council has asked all councils to contribute to the retirement of our priests by purchasing an annuity for their retirement;
Where As: All Brothers Knights of Council 8482 wish to show our appreciation to our priests for the lifetime sacrifice they make to serve our community
Where As: Brothers Knights of Council 8482 wants to establish a mechanism to ensure that we can provide for these annuities and continue the funding of the same;
Be it resolved: Council 8482 will establish an independent funding source, as described in Distribution of Funds, that will provide for the goal of funding new annuities for our seminarians upon their ordination and POP priests who do not currently have an annuity. The fund shall also contribute to existing annuities for all priests in residence at Prince of Peace in June each year. For supplemental gifts on the birthday of our seminarians. The fund may also be used should a special need for emergency funds for a seminarian or priest of Prince of Peace as determined by the officers and trustees is identified.
The funds for the Father McGivney Priest Appreciation Fund (Appreciation Fund) shall be provided by donations from Brother Knights and those interested in providing for the retirement of our priests. Contributions to this fund will be voluntary. Quarterly requests will be made so that all brothers and others who wish to contribute have an opportunity to support this cause.
- Beginning in August 2020 Brothers of Council 8482 shall be given an opportunity to contribute to the Annuity Fund.
- After August 2020, each quarter (November, February, May, and August) the RSVP chairman or his designate on behalf of the Grand Knight shall issue a request to all brothers to make a contribution for that quarter.
- Other organizations who wish to support our priest’s retirement are welcomed to contribute to the Appreciation Fund.
- All funds received will be identified by donor and amount given by the Priest Appreciation Fund chairman. This report will be submitted to the Grand Knight. The Financial Secretary will verify the money contributed.
DISTRIBUTION OF FUNDS:
In the month of June and after the ordination of priests, funds will be distributed from the Appreciation Fund to the POP priests and seminarians ordained into the priesthood:
- A Prince of Peace Seminarian, who is a Knight of Columbus, upon his Ordination will receive an annuity of $500.00. A letter, signed by the Grand Knight will be sent to the Grand Knight, when applicable, of the council where the seminarian receives his first appointment asking them if they will continue to support this annuity.
- A priest and a Knight upon his assignment to Prince of Peace who does not currently have a Knights of Columbus annuity will be given the same $500.00. This includes any assigned in July after the normal distribution.
- For all other Prince of Peace priests who are Knights with an existing annuity, a contribution of $100.00 to their annuity will be made at the time of their assignment.
- Exception, for priests who are in an order where they have taken a vow of poverty, a one-time contribution of $500.00 will be made to their order.
- On the anniversary of their birth, each POP seminarian will get a special supplement to the monthly stipend of not more than $50.00.
- When an occasion arises where a “special circumstance” develops which necessitates the need to provide funds to assist a seminarian or priests to address these cases. When time permits, these requests may be approved by a vote of the council. When immediate funds are needed, the Grand Knight and Trustees may make the decision on behalf of the council. The circumstance must represent a significant event:
- Death of a Parent or Sibling requiring travel
- A major event in which the attendance of the seminarian or priests is warranted, supportive, and expected.
- At the May Officers, Directors, and Trustees meeting, the Father McGivney Priest Appreciation Fund chairman will certify funds are sufficient to provide all new and supplements to the annuities as described in this distribution of funds. Should there be insufficient funds to achieve the prescribed distribution the following distribution schedule will be used:
- All POP Seminarians, who are Knights of Columbus, newly ordained;
- All POP Priests, who are Knights of Columbus, who do not currently have annuities will be provide one;
- All POP Priest, who are Knights of Columbus with existing annuities, will receive a gift of the available funds/# Priests or $100 whichever is smaller.
- All POP Priests new to the parish, who are Knights of Columbus without annuities, will be provided one if $500.00 is available.
- All POP Priests new to the parish who are Knights of Columbus, with annuities, a contribution according to the schedule in 5c above.
Donors will be recognized at intervals for their contributions
- At $100.00 a donor will become a member of the Century Club.
- At $500.00 a donor will be recognized as a Silver Member
- At each interval of $500, the donor will be recognized.
- Gold Level - $1,000
- Platinum Level - $1,500
- Diamond Level - $2,000
This resolution submitted for consideration on August 6th, 2020 to Council 8482 at the regular business meeting held at Zaka Road Family Event Center.
Join the Knights of Columbus TODAY!
Becoming a member of the Knights of Columbus has never been easier, and I personally invite all Practical Catholic men, 18 and over, to prayerfully consider joining this wonderful group of men. Our organization is dedicated to caring for the fraternal brothers and families of our departed brothers, supporting the church, our communities and the those being persecuted for our faith.
I hear many reasons as to why a man doesn’t join. I also hear why those same reasons end up disappearing, when that same man joins. The Prince of Peace K of C Council 8482 is looking for good Catholic men, who want to better serve and give back to their Church (POP) and community. With more good men, we can better provide for our faith.
Contact Brother Knight Steve Beckholt if you have any questions on how to join the largest Catholic Fraternal Organization in the WORLD
Also view this video invitation to the Knights of Columbus by clicking the following link:
PAY Your Knights of Columbus Annual Membership Renewal Dues
PAY YOUR RENEWAL DUES ONLINE
You should have received an email notifying you of your annual membership dues options. If you have any questions, please confirm your dues amount with the Financial Secretary BEFORE attempting to pay.
Continue paying your annual renewal dues online by selecting the applicable payment option in the drop-down and entering your Knights of Columbus membership number below.