St Wenceslaus Knights of Columbus High School Scholarship
Examples of Service Activities
To reward 8th grade St Wenceslaus parishioners who have demonstrated an outwardly Christian spirit through their active involvement in St Wenceslaus and the community and who will be attending a Catholic high school in the region
The St Wenceslaus Knights of Columbus Council invites all graduating 8th grade students of the parish, who will be entering a Catholic High School in the area in the Fall of 2020 to apply for a renewable scholarship. The scholarships will be renewable each year the student continues to be enrolled in a Catholic High School in the area.
A total of four (4) scholarships will be awarded.
The amount of each scholarship to be awarded is $500 per year, for a total of $2,000 over four (4) years, assuming the qualifications for renewal are met.
The award will be made directly to the Catholic High School designated by the applicant, on behalf of the recipient of the award. The criteria for renewing the scholarship is detailed below in the section entitled Criteria for Renewing the Scholarship.
An applicant must be:
1. A member of the St Wenceslaus (Omaha) Parish
2. Entering the freshman year of a Catholic High School in the Omaha area
3. An active participant in faith and / or charitable based programs offered through St Wenceslaus or a community based organization with clear goals which openly align with the beliefs of the Catholic faith. An example list of qualified eligible programs may be made available upon request. While this list will not be exhaustive, it will serve as an example of programs that applicants may use to determine eligibility.
1. Using the application form provided, student applicants should provide the following:
A. Name of the organization / program
B. Name, contact phone number, and email address of program chair / person-in-charge
C. Brief description of student’s involvement in each organization/program
D. Written essay from student about how the service programs / activities they have engaged in have inspired their Catholic faith and prepared them to be a beacon of Christianity as they prepare for high school. (Examples are attached as a pdf Example of Service Activities) Students are encouraged to highlight specific actions/projects with which they have been involved with which demonstrate charity and love for others. The essay should clearly be written by the student, and contain approximately 200-250 words (a single page, if typed). Note that, while good grammar and punctuation are encouraged, these will not be used as evaluation criteria.
2. Completed applications should be placed in a sealed envelope addressed to St Wenceslaus Knights of Columbus Scholarship Program with the applicant’s name in the bottom left corner.
3. The completed applications must be turned in to the St Wenceslaus Church Parish Office
4. Deadline for application submission is 5:30 pm on Friday, April 24th , 2020.
Service coordinators/mentors may be contacted by the selection committee to attest to the level of service and to describe how the program has positively impacted the student and strengthened their Catholic faith.
Preference for the awards will be given to a son or daughter or a grand-son or grand-daughter of an active member in good standing of the Knights of Columbus or the Catholic Daughters. Children of deceased members of the Knights of Columbus or the Catholic Daughters are also encouraged to apply.
IMPORTANT NOTE (To protect the integrity of the screening, selection, and evaluation process, please note the following instructions)
1. The applicant’s name SHOULD NOT appear anywhere except on the outside of the envelope & the 1st page of the application form.
2. The applicant SHOULD NOT include anywhere in the application materials names of family members, other relatives, or close friends.
CRITERIA FOR RENEWING THE SCHOLARSHIP
The St Wenceslaus Knights of Columbus High School Scholarship will be renewable for each high school year by each recipient of the Scholarship, provided the criteria for renewal are met. The amount of the renewable Scholarship per year will be $500 for each recipient, payable to the Omaha-area Catholic High School that the applicant will be attending in the upcoming school year. The total amount of the Scholarship will not exceed $2,000 per recipient for the four (4) years of high school.
Additional criteria (for renewal):
1. The applicant will continue as a parishioner at St Wenceslaus Church, Omaha.
2. The applicant plans on continued attendance in a Catholic High School in the Omaha area. It is understood that this might be a different Catholic High School from that attended by the recipient in a prior year.
3. The applicant will submit, no later than July 15th, each year that they are looking to renew their scholarship, a one-page essay consisting of approximately 300 words describing the applicant’s service- and faith-life in the past year, how the applicant intends to continue her / his journey in faith, as well as any faith-filled moments in the past year that touched the applicant personally. The essay will need to be submitted in a sealed envelope to the St Wenceslaus Parish office, addressed to the Knights of Columbus (High School Scholarship Renewal).
4. A signed statement (see attached document for the format) by the applicant to the effect that:
a. The information provided in the application for renewing the scholarship is true
b. The essay was written by the candidate herself / himself